Enveloped by the squalid Aravalli ranges and the expansive Thar Desert, the state of Rajasthan is known for its picturesque views, making it one of the most frequented destinations in India. Not only is this city famous for its splendid scenic views, it is also known for its rich variety of flora & fauna. One such biodiversity hotspot is the famed Ranthambore National Park, which is situated on the outskirts of Rajasthan, in the quaint town of Sawai Madhopur. This place has quite a few fascinating facts associated with it:
- Originally called the Sawai Madhopur Game Sanctuary, this park lies in the lap of nature. It is nestled amidst a plethora of notable sight-seeing places such as the opulent 10th-century Ranthambore Fort and the placid Padam Talao Lake. It is also enveloped by Banas River and Chambal River.
- Ranthambore Fortress dates back to 10th century. It houses 3 stone temples, which were constructed in the 1100s and 1200s to honor Lord Ganesh, Ramlalaji, and Shiva. The fortress stands atop a hill at a whopping height of 700 feet. It is hardly a surprise that it was a former royal hunting ground.
- Padam Talao Lake is the largest lake of the park. It is surrounded by a quaint palace made out of red sandstone called the ‘Jogi Mahal’. This area is also believed to be home to India’s 2nd largest banyan tree.
- Another interesting fact about this place is that spanning over an area of 392 km²; it is the 40th largest national park in northern India. Comprising of 539 species of flowering plants, the flora of the park predominantly includes dry deciduous forests and open grassy meadow.
- While the park is otherwise rich in biodiversity, it does not have too many amphibians. In fact, only 2 amphibian species, which are found here, include the common frog and common Indian toad.
- In 1973, it was declared as one of the Project Tiger reserves in India. The park houses an army of Royal Bengal tigers. It was accorded the status of a National Park in 1980.
Whenever you are in Ranthambore, you can drop by at Regenta Resort Vanya Mahal for a relaxing sojourn. Consisting of an array of rooms, it has a refreshing mélange of a host of spaces meant for habitation. It also has a signature dining outlet, Tiger Trail, where you can enjoy numerous delectable dishes with a fine dining experience.